Over the First Hurdle: Day One Post Surgery

Yesterday afternoon was the lumpectomy.  The removal of the cancer tumor in my left breast.  All went as well as it could have.  I arrived at the hospital at 8:47am for the scheduled 9am check in time.  This was with heavy traffic on the Blue route because of the morning rush hour and heavy rain.  My friend David did a great job in getting us there on time and in one piece.  He dropped me and his wife Carol off at the Warden Lobby of the Bryn Mawr Hospital.  She stayed with me almost the whole time.  She was a trooper.  I suggested she get David to take her home but she insisted on staying.

I was already registered as a patient there from when I had blood work done last week.  All I needed was my wrist band to which everyone and I mean everyone referred to always asking me “What is your name” and “What is your date of birth”.  The other popular questions for the day were “What are you having done today?” and “On what side are you having that done on?”

Bob, the hospital volunteer, took Carol and I up to the nuclear medicine department as my first step into this long day.  I was told by the nurse navigator last week on a couple of occasions that it would be a 6 hour turn-around time from start to finish but it ended up be more like 12 hours.  In the nuclear medicine department I met Dr. Carter’s female Fellow again.  She injected me with radioactive dye which would, after several hours, light up my lymph nodes on my left side arm pit.  It was injected into my outer left breast.  It was a bit of a pin prick for the lidocaine and a bit of a burn feeling when the dye was injected.  As far as pain is considered for the days activities, it wasn’t bad. She warned me my pee, over the next couple of days, would be blue from the dye.

The next stop after nuclear medicine was the “Green Room”.  It is the surgical waiting room.  A volunteer came to us and asked us our names and said she would be the one to take me to the surgery.  After about an hour waiting and getting hungrier and hungrier and thirstier the volunteer came up to us and said my friend’s Carol’s name.  We said yes and I got up and went with the volunteer to the surgical area.  When I got there nurses there looked at me and said “Carol?”  I said no I’m Melissa so back I went.  I am not really upset about the mix up as I got to see the next step.  It was a rectangular room with curtained off mini rooms along the right side, big enough for a bed and a couple of monitors.

By this time Carol was getting hungry.  At around noon I was in one of the curtained rooms, watching nurses dart back and forth, doctors glide in and out.  The nurse was trying to be up beat but I was having none of it.  This is where I had an iv put in my hand.  I wasn’t happy before this and I was definitely not happy afterwards.  The anesthesiologist came around and asked me a couple of questions:  had I have had surgery before was I allergic to any medications.  The Fellow came around and said my surgery was scheduled for 2pm.  I told her that the nurse navigator told me it would be a 6 hour affair and I would be done by 3pm.  She said it would be more like a 9 hour affair.  Actually it was 12 hours.  The most painful thing for the day was getting an iv put into my right hand just before the procedure.  The idea of having a needle threaded in my vein was more disturbing than anything else I had done that day.  After I got my iv the volunteer brought Carol around.  She said she was going to get some lunch and would call David.

The last thing I remember before waking up in the recovery room was the anestheisiologist putting some clear liquid in my iv.  I asked him what it was and he said “It was to take the edge off.”  I don’t remember being wheeled anywhere or counting down from 100 or any of those tv scenarios just the anesthesiologist asking me about my ceramics.

I think one of the first questions that came out of my mouth after surgery was when could I get something to eat.  I hadn’t eaten in 18 hours but they put that off until I got sent to a hospital room with the threat that I could end up spending the night if I wasn’t completely recovered.  They told me I had to be able to: pee; drink (keep down food) and walk without assistance before I would be allowed to go home.  When I got to the hospital room my friends came by and said the doctor said I could stay the night if I wanted to.  I didn’t want to stay the night as people catch all sorts of diseases in the hospital.  My friends decided to go home without me so that I could work on meeting all the hospital requirements.  I got an omlet and chocolate ice cream out of the deal; I peed blue and they helped me get my pants on so I could walk down the hall way.

The big reveal was this morning, the day after surgery when I peeled off the bandages.  I could barely make out the cuts.  The one under my left arm was about the same length, about 3 inches, as the one on the underside of my left breast.  The one on my breast had two stiches, one on either side of the incision, while the incision itself was glued shut.  Between the ink and bruising the incisions were barely recognizable.  There is a sense of relief and accomplishment that I have gotten through this first stage of my journey.  At least the cancer was out of me so far as the first tests could tell.

Published by


I have been doing pottery off and on since 1998. It is exciting to see my progress. I took classes 1998-1999. Then in 2003-2004 I had an online jewelry business. Now I am starting again with what makes me the happiest: clay, pottery and ceramics

One thought on “Over the First Hurdle: Day One Post Surgery”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s